Friday, April 16, 2010

The creator of perfection, Christian Dior

I think the first time I fell in love with fashion was the first time I saw Christian Dior’s 1947 New Look range. If I am ever having a bad day or feeling uncreative all I have to do is look at the images of ultra chic Parisian Dior models and feel instantly better. If there was one designer I could ever work with and learn from it would be Christian Dior. I just love everything about his design! The contrast between the volumous skirts and tiny waist... the perfectly rouged lips... the elegance of the draping mixed with the control of the tailoring...Oh, I could go on forever!

The Corolle line or the ‘New Look’ collection was Dior’s revolutionary debut collection. During the Second World War the fashion in Europe was minimalist and utilitarian. Fabric and consumer restrictions were in place and the popular approach was ‘mend and make do’. So when Christian Dior came along at the end of the war and used copious amounts of luxurious fabric in just one skirt, fantasy fashion was brought back to life.











image source: flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment