Sunday, May 16, 2010

Vivienne Westwood: Design Inspiration

I first became aware of Vivienne Westwood's work when I attended the opening night of her retrospective at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra many years ago. I knew who she was and what her work was like but it didn't really hit me how amazing her designs and creativity was until I saw them in front of me. I like her later work more than the early punk garments, especially her gowns with a historical reference. My design aesthetic has some of the same elements as Westwood in that she loves to play with volume and drape. Her ability to transfer a traditional tailoring technique to an innovative and create design is remarkable. I aim to be able to say by the end of this year, I can do the same, but I feel that's a little way off just yet.

Vivienne Westwood 'Propaganda' dress Fall 05/06

No comments:

Post a Comment