Monday, May 31, 2010

Richard Serra: Industrial Sculptor

Richard Serra is a minimalist industrial sculptor who has been in the industry for over 40 years. I love Serra's work and find it highly motivating and inspirational because he creates beautiful shapes and curves out of unconventional materials. The first time I came across Serra's work was while researching the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and its amazing architecture by Frank Gerhy. Both artists use metal as the primary material in their work and they both create lovely soft smooth lines with such unusual materials. While Gerhy’s work is very abstract and ‘new’ I find Serra’s work is more organic, clean and also very warming. How does this all relate to my collection? I want strong clean but creative lines in my collection and I love the multi layers of steel which I have used with layers of fabric. Here is some of Richard Serra’s lovely work.

'The Matter of Time' in the Guggenhiem Museum Bilbao

No comments:

Post a Comment